What a night, huge ungainly swell, loud music until 06 00 am, this happened on both nights spent here, rain intermittently and not a good place to be basically. We did think that when Stellios handed us a huge lazy line to go with our anchor, that it was a bit of overkill.... now we know why!
Our day in Chios town was somewhat sedate the rain depicting when we went outside and even then we only managed a supermarket shop and the nearest coffee shop, which did serve a very good coffee and free cake!
Our decision as to where to head next was somewhat guided by the incoming weather forecast. Each time we perused the pretty coloured pictures and charts our minds changed, winds in a weeks time are likely to reach 45 -50 knots therefore we must seek a good safe mooring, yet we cannot rely on that, it is a week away after all. If we go north with the southerly wind, how do we get back down in the time frame we have allocated. It isn't a particularly difficult decision, just a confusing one. We aim to be back in Turkey for the end of April, just for convenience and beginning our new Marina contract, bear in mind we messed the marina around last year by not arriving at all. They very kindly held our space open even though we could not actually bring Kejstral into Turkey. In addition, they allowed us to use some of the payment from last year to help finance this year's contract. So, we basically didn't want to irritate them once again.
We did go out for a lovely meal on our second evening to celebrate Lorraine and Pauls anniversary, which was the one time the rain held of thankfully.
During one of our coffee stops, one that allowed us to walk around the harbour without a huge downpour, we finally decided to keep heading north.
Next plan, this afternoon, we will go further up the coast to Langadha, on Chios which will shorten our next passage to Lesvos.
Having paid our small port fee of €6 per night and 24 hours worth of electricity €2 we thanked our very helpful harbour master and set off in 6 knots of wind.
Our sails were unfurled as soon as possible, but with such a gentle wind, the engine was fired up once more. Only 8 nm away, Langadha is a very pretty bay on the north east coast, even though it is tucked in very snuggly, the slight Easterly wind caused some sea disturbance for a while.
What a lovely town, coffee shops and restaurants galore, very pretty harbour area and full of people, both Greek and Turkish, (Turkey is only two miles across the water.)
We pulled up alongside the town quay in view of the fact that 15 meters of water is a little too deep to drop anchor for a safe stern to mooring, so we took advantage of the space available. Apparently the small mini market can supply water and electricity via key or card payment. We needed neither but very handy to know.
On arrival we had drinks on board Freya with Paul and Lorraine then set off for a walk around the small but pretty little harbour. It didn't take long, especially as the sky darkened with ominous looking black heavy, water filled clouds!
Tea and sleep came early that night, we had missed a few good sleeps in Chios town, we really needed to catch up.